Time for another recipe from the “honestly, it tastes better than it looks” archives. It’s easy, quick, not too bad for you, delicious and ideal for the festive period for brightening you up after what, let’s face it, might have been an indulgent day before.
It’s autumn, it’s cold, mornings aren’t exactly enticing and so I recently felt like throwing together something that wasn’t stodge-heavy but was fiery and satisfying for breakfast. And so along came a sort of Bloody Mary-based egg breakfast dish. Something hearty and comforting but still health conscious.
I mean, don’t get me wrong, you could totally take this down to a proper brunch route and serve over toasted sourdough (and cover it with extra cheese and bacon and whatever the hell else you want to use to say a succinct “bugger off” to dieting if thusly inclined), but if you want something a little lighter, this definitely worked for me – and it’s a really simple recipe too.
Why so healthy? Well you have fibre, a high-protein legume, and plenty of nutrients. Tomatoes too, plus avocado. So whilst it is a lighter breakfast or brunch to eat, it has plenty to set you up for a good day ahead.
Or go for your life and break out the bacon. But I’m leaving you to make your own lifestyle choices. But when you let rip with some Worcestershire sauce and some Tabasco, you can get that aura of a Bloody Mary without getting smashed before you’ve even bothered to take a shower. Though if you fancy the real deal on the side, I refer you to the lifestyle choices clause above. Do what you (Bloody) want.
Anyway! On with it.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
1 x tin chopped tomatoes (plum tomatoes are fine, just cook a little and cut down)
1 x tin black beans, drained
1 x grated garlic clove
½ a large / standard avocado or one whole smaller one
4 x good quality free range large eggs
½ tsp dried oregano
1 x organic vegetable stock cube
1 x teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
2 x teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 x pinch Chilli flakes
30g mature cheddar cheese
- Soften the grated garlic in olive oil before adding the tinned tomatoes and the black beans.
- Add in the crumbled stock cube, and refill the tomato tin with boiling water, add to the mix
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, oregano and chilli flakes. Mix together well
- Season to taste with salt and pepper – and then some more pepper if you wish, because why not
- Dice the avocado, grate the cheese and set aside
- Once the beans are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thicker consistency (don’t let it get too thick as you’ve still got to let the eggs cook without stirring the sauce), make four gaps with the back of a spoon. Crack a good quality free-range medium or large egg into each.
- Scatter over the cheddar cheese and avocado
- Continue to cook over a medium-high heat until the eggs are set to your preference
The result is a lovely, warming, smoky and spicy dish that will wake you up, warm you up, possibly not entirely erase but certainly help with a hangover, and might just make you want to make the most of the day in colder months. As well as being nutritionally pretty positive, it’s quick, simple and not overly expensive either. An almost barbecue-flavour alternative to traditional baked beans, filling thanks to the beans and spicy with the Tabasco, which contrasts so nicely with just-warm avocado and the melting cheddar….this ticks a lot of boxes and manages to feel indulgent without actually being so entirely bad for you. Enjoy x.